Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pausing to Remember

Saturday was a busy day for me. A little girl we know was having her 3rd birthday party. Also a good reason to gather the family for a last picnic before the weather turns too cool. So the day was spent running around doing last minute errands, doing some more cleaning (of cobwebs that tend to accumulate over the summer), folding another pile of laundry, wrapping some gifts and cooking food.

Kaylee was overjoyed that all her "fwiends" were coming over (grandparents, aunts & uncle, and a neighbor). She was a delight to watch as she once again charmed us all with her sweetness. How precious the memories of how God sent her to our family. She is a special girl and much loved. We thank the Lord for her. So aptly named....Kaylee "Joy"!


In the busyness of the day, I had no time to revisit the events of 9/11 in my mind. No time to pause and remember where I was on that day, or how I felt as I watched those events at the WTC, the Pentagon and Shanksville, PA unfold. So today, I took some time to replay those events in my mind. I remember holding my babies close and crying out for God to be merciful to our nation.

In the nine years since the attacks, I think I have once again grown complacent. Sure, I'm busy like everyone else. And of course, I always wonder "what exactly can I do?" The answer always comes back to me loud and clear, "pray". II Chronicles 7:14 "If my people which are called by my name shall humble themselves and pray and seek my face, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." May God have His way in the hearts of men and may He be eternally glorified.

Today is also a day to remember my dear uncle Tom. Today would've been his 68th birthday. But on June 13th he passed away. It is difficult to grasp the fact that he is gone. He lived a full life as a son, a brother, an uncle, a friend to many, a Benedictine monk, and a nurse. He was probably the biggest influence on me when it came to the intrigue and adventure that learning could be. He was always giving my sister and I interesting books , CD's, and mind bending puzzles. He loved to travel and be free to be his own person. I loved that about him. He also was a very deep and disciplined person as well. I still am struggling with the pain of regret in not visiting with him more often in recent years, and especially not going to see him in the last weeks before he passed away. I had no idea he was near the end. I miss him terribly, but rejoice that God gave me such a person in my life to encourage my love of all things silly, love of learning, and also encourage me in understanding and parenting my children. I will cherish the memories. Uncle Tom, you are in my heart forever.

Today is also my father-in-law's birthday. His is an undisclosed age, but he has amazing amounts of energy for his age. He is a devoted father and grandfather, and well-versed in many subjects, making him a very interesting person to converse with. Thank you, Dad, for all you do for our family, and for loving on our kids so much. You are special to us all. Happy birthday!


Thanks for obliging me as I take the time to remember some special people in my life, both past and present.
*Note: Written on Monday, September 13.

1 comment:

dianne said...

Sweet and beautiful thoughts. It is good to just remember, some times. Love you!