Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fall into Reading 2010

My children inform me that today is the official first day of autumn, and I have been looking forward to fall for more reasons than one. One big reason is that I have been wanting to participate in Katrina's Fall Into Reading Challenge. This is my first time to join in and I am really excited.

I've made my list "doable" for me, ie, small. Only 8 books. If I get through these books, then I plan to come back and add more to my list. But this will be good for starters.

So here's the list:

Fiction

Even Now - by Karen Kingsbury I'm a big fan of Karen's books. And I've just discovered a whole shelf of them at our church library. Yeah! This one was just chosen at random.

Return to Me - by Robin Lee Hatcher Borrowed from my sis, who is also joining in the reading challenge.

The Call of the Wild - by Jack London I have to be honest, I don't remember ever having read this book. I guess it never really "jumped out" at me. But since my 8th grade daughter will be reading it for school, I am going to read it, too.

Handle with Care - by Jodi Picoult I started this on vacation, but never got a chance to finish it. When I read her books, I can't put them down. I may have a few late nights with this one!

Non-Fiction

Girl's Passage - Father's Duty - by Brian and Kathleen Molitor Carl won this at a Father/Daughter dance when he took Brianna a few years ago. It's been sitting on the shelf ever since. It looks good. So I know I'm not a father, but maybe I can still learn a few things.

Writing Personal Essays: How to Shape Your Life Experiences for the Page - by Sheila Bender Another one from off the bookshelf.  A little motivation for my creative side.

An Army of One - by Zev Chafets A biography about Rush Limbaugh, but also an insight into the conservative movement. Very intriguing book that I started this summer, but never finished.

Don't Waste Your Life - by John Piper Given to me. John Piper is deep, but has some tremendous thoughts to share in this book.

Okay, that's my list for now. I'm so excited to be a part of this reading community. I have already checked out a few of the links to other's reading lists. This is going to be fun.

Now to go figure out the "Mr. Linky" thing. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Christie said...

Looks like a good list. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the Writing Personal Essays book. I have read most of Don't Waste Your Life, and it is a very good book, but it usually makes me feel guilty.

Kara said...

Looks like a great list! I've enjoyed every book I've read by John Piper...he is so challenging! My husband likes to listen to his sermons on podcast on his commute. Thanks for visiting my blog...and to answer your question, yes, I will post reviews of most, if not all, of the books on my list, so keep an eye out. :-)

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Looks good, Debbie! I recently read Handle with Care -- actually I think I listened to the audiobook. I made myself do housework whenever I was listening to it. Let's just say, my house was pretty clean that week. :)

So glad you joined Fall Into Reading 2010!