Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Attack of the Stink Bugs!

It seems like every few years we have a plague of sorts of one bug or another. I remember the 17-year locusts, or cicadas, which supposedly come in hordes every 17 years. They bore holes in the tree branches to lay their eggs, causing many trees to die. People were scraping them from trees and burning them, there were so many of them. You couldn't walk outside without them jumping up in your face or your hair. I felt like Laura and Mary Ingalls with the grasshoppers that descended on the midwest and ate all of their crops. After awhile they couldn't even go to school. Who wanted to walk to school with "crunch, crunch" under their bare feet?

One year we had bees that built a nest up in the attic. They eventually chewed their way through the drywall and came down into our laundryroom and into the kitchen. After being out one night, we came home to a houseful of bees, everywhere! Scary.

A couple of times we had the ladybugs everywhere. Usually I think ladybugs are kinda cool. But hundreds of them? Coming in at every little crack or crevice of my house. After awhile all I could say was "ick"..."be gone". I didn't like ladybugs much after that. They had ceased to be cute when I found them all over the windows, the floors, up underneath the curtains in every bedroom, inside and outside the screens. You get the picture. 

Now we have the attack of the stinkbugs. I was going to attempt to take a picture of them, but at this point I am still a little too grossed out to take a picture.  It's bad enough that every morning they are showing up at my front door...inside the house. It's bad enough that I'm killing a few in my kitchen each day. In the afternoon when I go to lay Kaylee down for her nap, there have been one or two in the bedroom or the kids bathroom.

Today, seven in the kid's bathroom. Five in the master bath. Three in the kitchen area. And many more outside on the screens. It would be a great day for opening the windows and letting the breeze blow through the house. But no, not today.

Not until we are done with the attack of the stink bugs. I am not usually one to gross out over bugs. A bug is little, ie, smaller than me, so I should by all rights be able to kill it and move on with life. But I have spent the whole afternoon trying to swat these little critters and dispose of them. Sorry, but I don't want to go to bed tonight with thought of them crawling around in my room somewhere.

If there was an Alfred Hitchcock movie called "The Bugs", these things would be the stars. They buzz like a wasp, they are definitely ugly, and they don't die very easily. Each one takes at least 3 swats with a fly-swatter before they give up the ghost. Then I flush them just for good measure.

Is anyone else experiencing the plague of the stink bugs? I hope it's over soon.

3 comments:

dianne said...

That's funny, I've been noticing these too just the past few days. Went outside today to take a nap on my hammock and 2-3 fell out when I went to set it up. Yuck-o. Oh but I don't think those were ladybugs a few years ago but some kind of beetle. Just wondering though, why they're called stink bugs? Do they stink if you squash them?

The Glenns said...

Okay, AZ is good on bugs. For instance, last night, I got bit by 3 mosquitos. That's a lot here. And every now and then, we see a spider or a cricket, but not much else really.

I don't like bugs. It's why I will never move.

Once while in Missouri, I saw a glow bug. They are real. I was amazed. Still....kind of glad we don't have bugs.....just scorching heat. 111 degrees at the games this past weekend. That is insane.

Have a good week.

Christie said...

Hope the plague has abated somewhat. We were starting to get more of those in our house in Seven Fields. I certainly don't miss them, but I have no idea what summer will bring here . . .