Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A look back, a look ahead

Another year has gone by. This is said somewhat with a sigh of relief. 2007 was a year of stretching for me in many ways.

One, my belly stretched out more than ever before in my 5th pregnancy. Waddling to the pool this past summer was not a pretty sight! Yes baby Kaylee (more about her in a later post) was born about a full pound larger than my other children. She is so sweet in all her chubbiness, soft skin, and fluffy hair. But I need to “unstretch” now. I lost the baby weight fairly quickly this time, so how did I end up putting on an few extra pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years? Yikes. Time to get back on the treadmill. (Situps are not happening right now!)

My marriage has been stretched in unexpected ways as well. This is where the rubber really meets the road. I am finding out that when you face challenges together as a couple and commit to honor your marriage vows, you really can grow in ways you wouldn’t imagine. Admittedly, that growth can be painful at times. We are still a work in progress, but it is by God’s grace that 2 imperfect people are still so in love and looking forward to 50+ more years together! I suspect that God has some great things ahead for us.

I have also been stretched in my relationship with the Lord. Several people have been instrumental in this area. My dear sister has encouraged me to look at my relationship with the Lord in a whole new way. It is slooowly becoming more of a “line upon line, precept upon precept” type of walk. Not something to be done in isolation, and not something that I can even actually do myself. It is truly more about what the Lord has already done for me and what He is now doing in me. My pastor was also extremely instrumental in helping me learn what it means to walk in grace.

I am truly filled with joy and gratitude to the Lord for the year (or two!) of stretching. My prayer for 2008 is that I will cherish His truth and live by His grace.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Good prayer for the year - cherish the truth and live in grace. And that baby - she's just adorable!

Julie@HighFive! said...

What a beautiful baby! Enjoy her, as a fellow mom of 5, my littlest guy just turned 9 months old! I truly just can not believe it!!