Thursday, January 17, 2008

Even More Hodge-Podge Household (Part 4)

I guess it's time for another installment in the thrilling saga of the Hodge-Podge household. I know you've all been waiting with baited breath.

Today the story begins with a messy house (and ends with the same, I might add). The people in this house have been sick since...hmmm, on and off since Christmas vacation I guess. Mostly on. There has been theme and variations on illness in the form of fever, ear infections, stomach flu (no details, I promise!), fever, nightmares, strep throat, rashes, exhaustion (mostly mine), and fever. Do I see a recurring theme here?

Well, after taking Corey (3) to preschool this morning, I noticed a growth in the corner of my sons' room. Oh my! To my surprise it was a huge mountain of laundry. Wow, I thought I just did their laundry.

Most of the rest of my house was in terrible disarray as well. Dishes, paper swords, crumbs, homemade playdough, backpacks, books, paper swords, clothes, beach towels from tents made over the table in the playroom 2 days ago, paper swords, tape, scissors, baby toys, sticky notes. All this and more littered the main floor.

And the baby was exercising her vocal cords. Something about needing to nurse again, she said. Now it was getting on to 10:00 and this morning was going nowhere fast!

Then my little superhero came to my rescue. Every family needs one of these guys. He swooped down into my kitchen and wiped off the kitchen table and swept the floor, then he began tidying up the living room, moved to the playroom and disassembled the tent, folded the beach towels, took down the tent in the basement as well, cleaned up Corey's room, stripped the bunk beds, took the sheets downstairs, and helped to fold laundry.

"Mama, am I your good helper?" You bet, bud! Thanks to my Travis, the house looked presentable once again, and I have just about dug out from under the mountain of laundry.

Our little "Slim-Jim", Travis is 6, and in Kindergarten. He is an emerging reader which he's very excited about. He's the middle man in our line-up of kids. He's Daddy's shadow and a real tough-guy. He likes soldiers, army stuff, swords, guns, tools, digging in the dirt, going camping, Steelers, and other totally boy stuff. Yet he is head over heels in love with Kaylee (4mo), and if there's any word to describe Travis, it's "sweet". My little man of Steel and Velvet. Thanks for all your help today, bud!

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Hi Sis! That's our Travvy-noodle! You know he stole my heart from the get go.

Debbie said...

Steals mine everyday!

Fishing Without Worms said...

He reminds me of his Dad...a work horse...and he enjoys it too. How blessed you are!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Aw, very sweet. I can't believe he's 6, though -- how does time fly by so quickly?