Thursday, January 24, 2008

God with me!

I think we're kicking this sick bug in the tail. Almost everyone in our household has had some sort of virus, and on top of that Brianna (10) and Jeremy (9) had "strap" throat (as Jeremy calls it)! Hopefully all this is on the way out.

In the past week I have paraded my kids into the doctor's 5 times. (Okay one was a well-child visit.) And that coming from a non-doctor-type person. I think the world of the kids' doctor, but usually have managed to utilize the good 'ole home remedies to keep everyone in good shape. Spending an hour in the doctor's office with a 3yo and an infant in a car seat and whoever else happens to be along is not my idea of fun!

Just a few thoughts that have been rolling around in my head this week.

God is with me in this season of my life. Not a big "wow" of a thought, really. But for me, a very comforting thought. I've been dabbling in a book titled
The Gift of Being Yourself by David Benner for the better part of 6 months, maybe more. It's not a very thick book, but it has just taken me that long to really process what this book is all about. I laid down next to Corey(3) the other day for his nap, and he always hands me a book to read. "Here Mama, dis book for you cuz I love you." So after reading his customary 2 books to him, he closed his eyes, and I opened up my book to where I had left off weeks ago.

The words really jumped out at me for some reason.
"The omnipresent God whose name is Immanuel is not distant but nearer to us than we can imagine. God is not alien to the circumstances of our lives, but comes to us in them. Our challenge is to unmask the Divine in the natural and name the presence of God in our lives."
Immanuel, God with us. He is with me right now, right here, while I deal with sick, fussy kids. Snow. Cold weather. Family stress. Time pressures. Tiredness. God has been with me all along. I am the one who is often not aware of His presence. I praise Him for bringing to mind this thought that He is with me in my humanness. What a comfort and a blessing that has been to me this week.

2 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Great post, Debbie. This past Christmas, I felt drawn to focusing on the aspect of Immanuel, God with Us. It was such a blessing to have Immanuel as the focus of my study, the focus of my Christmas. And its depth and permanence continue to bless me in the new year.

I really hope you guys are all healthy soon. Illness and dr. visits are no fun at all.

Dianne said...

I'm glad you're enjoying this book. God's presence with us, Immanuel, is truly amazing isn't it? How often I've prayed, "God be with me?" when what I need to pray is "make me aware that you are with me."