Monday, March 1, 2010

A Recipe for a Cold Winter Day

(originally written on 2/11/10)
With all the cold and the snow, we've had plenty of time to cook (and eat) lots of yummy comfort foods. We've had beef vegetable barley soup, homemade bread, chocolate chip cookies, banana bread, and chicken stew. Not just any chicken stew. I've been on a quest for sometime trying to replicate the recipe that my Gram always made for us. This is one of my very favorite meals that she made. I remember her saying that making it was an all-day affair. Well, I don't make anything that takes all day. I have been dubbed "the Queen of Quick" in the kitchen. So here goes, my easy version of the secret family recipe.

Chicken Stew with Austrian Dumplings

chicken parts (I use thighs) - about 10-12                carrots
1 - 26 oz. can cream of chicken soup                     celery
chicken broth from cooking the chicken                   onion
flour                                                                      potatoes
salt
pepper

Boil chicken parts in water until chicken is well cooked. Set aside chicken to cool. Save broth. In another large pot, mix can of cream of chicken soup with approx 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add in chopped celery, onion, carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer until tender.

Pull cooled chicken off the bone, cut into small pieces. Set aside.

Add approx 1/4 cup flour to about 1 cup of chicken broth. Mix well. Add to stew mixture, bring to boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes. Fold in chicken and dumplings.

Austrian Dumplings

1/2 c Butter
1 Egg; separated
1 Egg yolk
3/4 c Flour
1/4 ts Salt
1 ds Pepper
1 ds Nutmeg

Cream butter until soft and beat in egg yolks; gradually stir in flour, seasoning and stiffly beaten egg whites. Shape in small balls 1 inch in diameter, drop into boiling salted water and simmer, covered, about 5 minutes; do not let dumplings boil. Gently scoop out of water w/ slotted spoon. Makes 1 1/2 doz.

Enjoy! This recipe will feed our family of 7 with very little in the way of leftovers!

2 comments:

The Glenns said...

Hi Debbie. So nice to meet you. I appreciated your comments today. I have never posted my educational views. My 12 year old started her first semester of college this spring (easy load, but a stark change...she loves it). The rumor-mill was spinning around town. I thought maybe it was time to put my voice out there. Most people still think we are crazy....maybe more so now that they really know. I should be more careful :) It's okay.

Tonight I sit here after a really long day. I am almost ready to pull another child out of the public school. The drama with the teachers is sometimes more than I can take.

My husband and I spent the last several days asking ourselves if there was Anything we are doing right. It feels a bit overwhelming at times.

Thanks for being a new friend in cyberspace. I feel like I know you already.

In sunny AZ, it was cold today...I wore socks :) This morning I turned on my heater. It was nearly 70 degrees inside....brrrr

I look forward to trying your recipes. It's still very much soup season here. I love this time of year. Have a great day.

Beth Glenn

The Glenns said...

Okay...time for a new post :)