Friday, December 14, 2007

Joy in the Journey

As I have been working on starting this blog, the words to one of Michael Card's songs keeps coming to my mind. At times I don't think I've been very good at seeing the joy in the journey of my life. As I look back, I think many times I wanted to be somewhere else rather than where I was at the moment. Sometimes I experienced regrets and wanted to go back and do something over again. Or maybe even felt nostalgic and wished I could go back to relive a special time. Even when I had children many times I couldn't wait for them to be a certain age so that I could "get on" with life. But God in His great wisdom has given me 5 children, perhaps so I could just finally get it, that there is so much joy in the everyday tasks of life, if we just look for it.

My 5th child is now 3 months old and I get to watch my children enjoy her smallness and all her little baby ways. They all say, "Ah Mom, she's growing too fast." I am seeing them enjoy the journey of these baby days.

Many times over the past few years I have felt hopelessness instead of freedom. But God is opening my eyes to what I miss out on when I don't embrace the path he has set before me. I don't mean this to say that every moment of life is going to be a Kodak moment. Not at all. But what I am saying, is that I want to stop wishing my life away. Whatever I am going through now, whether it be special or difficult, God has allowed it for a reason. I really want to stop dragging through life, complaining about everything I don't like, and instead look for the "joy in the journey".

Joy in the Journey

There is a joy in the journey
There's a light we can love on the way
There is a wonder and wildness to life
and freedom for those who obey.
And all those who seek it shall find it
A pardon for all who believe
Hope for the hopeless and sight for the blind.

To all who have been born of the spirit
And who share incarnation with Him
Who belong to eternity stranded in in time
and of struggling with sin.

Forget not the hope thats bid for you
and never stop counting the cost
Remember the hopelessness when you were lost.
There is a joy in the journey
There's a light we can love on the way
There is a wonder and wildness to life
and freedom for those who obey
and freedom for those who obey.

No comments: