Monday, April 28, 2008

Thanking God for family and friends

I'll take any time I can get with my family. I live a fat hour from my parents (about 45 miles) and about 45 minutes from my sister (about 30 miles), but I never feel like I see them enough. How much is enough? I don't know. So this past week I had fun planning with my sister to get together at my parents' house.

Saturday was my Dad's birthday, and after his having bypass surgery just one month ago, I realize even more now how much I love him and as we say around here, "I just don't know what I'd do without you." I am so thankful that I didn't have to find that out. I am glad he got things checked out instead of waiting when he was experiencing chest pains . He is recovering well, and is looking very healthy and getting more strength everyday.

The kids had a fun time at Grandma and Pap Pap's house running up the hill into the field. They own 6.7 country acres. Even a walk halfway up the hill makes you feel like you're on top of the world. It is so beautiful there. The kids love to go up to their "secret hideout" as they call it. A clump of trees that stands alone halfway up the hill. There's groundhog holes up there, trees to climb, probably some "poisy wivy" (as Corey(4) used to say), maybe even a dead groundhog on occasion. We have found a stinky carcass or two. (Not sure if Travis(6) was telling me a whopper when he announced that he found one up there!)

With the threat of rain and lightening, they all ran back down and came in the house. But as soon as the sun came out again, back up the hill they ran. This was my thinking place when I was a kid. I even remember situating myself in a tree to do my homework. What peace and beauty. I'm glad my kids get to enjoy it now.

Today the weather was different altogether. Rainy and chilly. My Mom brought our long-time family friend, Beth to my house to visit...well, and of course, to see the baby! It was a very refreshing visit. So fun to catch up on all that is going on with her grown up kids (they have 8), who were some of my best childhood friends. I think their family had a great influence on me as to wanting a large family. Beth is still a great Mom to her kids, and you can see that little ones still bring her lots of joy.

I was able to pull lunch together without any last minute trips to the grocery store (yea!) and without getting stressed out. I only experienced a moment of panic when I was trying to think "what do I have?". But I kept my head and remembered that people aren't coming to check out what kind of housekeeper I am or how great a cook I am. I also remembered how many times Beth opened her home to us, most of the time on short or no notice. She never seemed stressed about it. She was always happy to see us, and happy to offer whatever she had.

Travis(6), Corey(4), Kaylee(7mo) and I all enjoyed the wonderful visit. I wish I had pictures to post, but neither camera is presently working. Sniff. You can check out my sister's blog to see a cute picture of Kaylee and my sister.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I'm sure a "good time was had by all." Wish I could have joined you guys.