Monday, March 31, 2008

Easter is still Easter!

I was thinking about starting a label for "sickness" since it seems like we've had plenty of it around here. This time it was me that got sick. Now I know pride is bad, but I must say I usually pride myself in not getting sick. So I guess that's what I get. Sick, that is.

Last Thursday evening right before I left the house with Carl and the kids to go see my dad at the hospital, I talked to my mom on the phone. My dad had just had 4 bypass surgery, and the last thing my mom said to me on the phone was "Don't come if you're sick." "Don't worry Mom, I feel fine. You know me, I'm never sick."

Well, "ha"! Friday morning I woke up thinking that I felt like I had gotten run over by a Mac truck. I was achy from my head to the tips of my toes, no lie. By the time Carl got home from work on Good Friday, I was on the couch under a blanket, where I camped out for the next 4 or 5 days alternating between there and my bed.

I thought that I would try to hide from my Mom the fact that I was sick, because I didn't want her to worry about my dad getting sick, on top of everything else she had to be concerned about. But after awhile, it was just no use trying to hide it. The fact was that I was sick. Sicker than I have been in a long, long while.

By Easter Sunday, the baby was also pretty sick, and although my husband really wanted to go to his aunt's house for some homemade spaghetti and meatballs (and to see the fam, of course!), I convinced him that I was too sick to even deal with holding a crying baby while he fared sumptuously for a few hours. In reality, I was too sick to deal. Kaylee(6mo) cried 23 out of 24 hours on Easter. And I dozed and hacked and used up an entire box of tissues.

To say it was not the happiest Easter for our family is putting it mildly. The kids were all disappointed that they didn't go anywhere, not even church. Even our Easter eggs didn't get dyed until Sunday afternoon. Brianna (10) felt bad for me because I tried so hard to find the kids something to wear for Easter, then they didn't even get to wear it. When kids at school asked her what she got for Easter, she didn't have much to brag about. But she knows the true meaning of Easter, and we rejoiced together that Easter is still Easter, even when we are not able to participate too much. Jesus participated for us. He is alive, and He gives us cause to celebrate that fact everyday!

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Sorry you guys have been so sick. Especially you. I know what you mean about bragging about never getting sick - then wham! I think it surprises us too, since we are sick so infrequently. Well hope things are looking up there now. Miss you.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Oh man, more illness! It's hard enough when kids are sick. But when MOM gets sick, things really start to go downhill! I hope the spring sunshine puts an end to the illness in your house and that you can all enjoy the warmth and the longer days.

Anonymous said...

Years ago when my oldest boy was 8 or 9, we all took turns the week leading up to Easter with the stomach flu. Wouldn't you know it....Easter Sunday afternoon...AFTER my son had his Easter chocolate, he came down with it,..or should I say up....all over his bed....that's enough to cure anyone of a chocolate addiction. Hope I didn't gross you out. Oh, now you have one more reader!